Once you have had dental implants surgically placed, you will want to follow some important care tips to ensure their long-term success. With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime, so it’s exceptionally important to adhere to the instructions provided by your dentist and guidelines like these:
- Follow a vigilant routine of brushing and flossing thoroughly at least twice per day to eliminate the plaque that can cause periodontal disease, which is a leading cause of implant failure.
- Consult with your dentist about the type and use of special toothbrushes or oral irrigation devices that can help with the additional removal of food debris or plaque that builds up around the implant areas.
- Visit your dentist approximately every three months for the first year after implant surgery, and then every six months for the duration of your implants.
- If you are also wearing an implant supported denture, seek additional guidance from your dentist about the placement and removal of your denture to prevent damage to the implant.
- Refrain from applying excessive pressure or chewing on hard foods that could cause damage to the implant area. Patients who suffer from bruxism (teeth grinding) should consider being fitted for a night guard to protect the implants.
While the success rate of dental implants is high, implant failure can happen and normally results from infection, fracture, or damage to the nerves, teeth or blood vessels surrounding the implant. A successful implant patient who takes vigilant care of their teeth, gums, and implants can expect a full recovery and complication-free lifetime of beautiful, healthy smiles.
If you need a dentist in Central Falls contact us today